Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why do 17 year olds have very few rights?

My 17 year old daughter had a fight with my wife today. My wife said that my daughter isn't allowed to wear make up and date until she is 18. I think my wife is too strict with our daughter. I met the young man she is dating and his family. They are decent Christian people. He is a year old than her. My wife thinks he is using our daughter for sex. She also thinks he is a pervert and our daughter is a helpless child. It's only a one year difference. After the fight, I suggested that our daughter stays with my parents for a few days. My daughter got in the car and went to my parents house this afternoon. My wife threatened to call the police and have our daughter returned to us if she isn't home by tomorrow afternoon. She thinks that our daughter is part of our property until age 18. I checked the laws and she is right. It says that 2 to 17 year olds are basically bound to their parents in the same way. It doesn't loosen up as teenagers age. Why are the laws so strict? Up until the 1930s or so, it was common for 17 year olds to get married. Why are they considered children these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment